News and Interesting Links



Submitted by: Ken Bradford on July 30, 2010

Army, Railway Operating Battalion, Railway Shop Battalion,Transportation Group (Railway), Transportation Battalion (Railway Operating), Transportation Military Railway Service and more.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on July 25, 2010

Get information about postmasters and Post Offices quickly and easily. Choose from the categories below.

What you will find: Most postmasters appointed after 1986 and some postmasters appointed before 1986. What you will not find: All past postmasters and Post Offices.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on May 15, 2010

Food Ads from the past.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on May 08, 2010

Images of Schenectady from over 100 years ago...

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on March 31, 2010

Lots of photos and notes on Steam Locomotives from around the world.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on March 20, 2010

Welcome to the Generic Radio Workshop's online repository of scripts from the Golden Age of Radio: the original and largest collection of radio transcripts on the World Wide Web.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on March 16, 2010

PDF Document.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on March 14, 2010

Baseball during World War II has fascinated me for a long time - so much so that I've written a number of newspaper and magazine articles as well as three books on the subject. This blog is an extension of my Baseball in Wartime website . . . a way of reaching more people that want to learn about ballplayers who served with the armed forces during World War II.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on March 09, 2010

2010 New Zealand Stamp Catalogue.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on March 09, 2010

The first New Zealand stamp that was designed in New Zealand was a half penny stamp issued on 1 January 1873. This stamp is called the 'Newspaper' stamp, as it was used to pay for newspapers being sent through the post. The stamp design shows a sideview of Queen Victoria's head and because of this it is one of the early New Zealand stamps known as Sidefaces.

New Zealand was the first country in the world to put advertising on the back of stamps. A number of Sideface stamps had advertising messages printed on the back (gummed side) in 1893. But people complained because they thought that licking the ink was unhealthy, so the Post Office stopped using advertising on the back of stamps.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on February 20, 2010

The New York, Westchester & Boston was a controversial project shrouded in mystery and backed by powerful men like J.P. Morgan. Though the railroad was only in operation from 1912-1937, it was an important part of Westchester County history. The abandoned railroad was sold off, covered over, and otherwise forgotten. Part of the line in the Bronx was integrated into the New York City Subway in 1941, while the rest has slowly returned to nature, with most traces rapidly disappearing to the passing of time and memory.

We have gathered information and artifacts to help serve those interested in learning more about the old NYW&B. Join us as we remember Westchester's "forgotten" railroads! Enjoy your journey!

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on February 12, 2010

This page contains links to both 1950 U.S. Geological Survey Maps and Aerial Photos from 1951. In each case the aerial photo has been formatted to match the corresponding map as closely as possible. The USGS maps were scanned and reduced to black & white images with as few shades of gray as possible to minimize file size and download time as some of them are quite large. Likewise the aerial photos were saved as 16 grey shade gif images to remain managable. A number of the aerial photos were pieced together from several images and as a result you may notice parting lines where the photo angle or altitude differed slightly.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on February 07, 2010

This is a web site devoted to the history of railroading in Western New York State. It contains information about the railroads of the area and two towns, villages, and cities they served.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on February 06, 2010

The mission of the Society for Industrial Archeology (SIA) is to encourage the study, interpretation, and preservation of historically significant industrial sites, structures, artifacts, and technology. By providing a forum for the discussion and exchange of information, the Society advances an awareness and appreciation of the value of preserving our industrial heritage.

The Society for Industrial Archeology was formed in 1971 to promote the study, appreciation, and preservation of the physical survivals of our industrial and technological past. The word "archeology" underscores the society's principal concern with the physical evidence of industry and technology-the study, interpretation, and preservation of historically significant sites, structures, buildings, artifacts, industrial processes, bridges, railroads, canals, landscapes, and communities.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on February 01, 2010

Encyclopedia of American Coachbuilders & Coachbuilding - Over 1200 Auto Body Builders Represented.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on January 25, 2010

The Newton Owen Postcard Collection represents nearly a century in the life and travels of an extended Kentucky family. The earliest cards date to the late 19th century, and while the bulk of the collection dates to the period 1900-1940, there are postcards dating to the 1980s as well. It consists of 781 cards, including travel postcards and greeting cards of many different kinds.

The Newton Owen Postcard Collection consists of postcards collected by the Bayne, Foell, and Owen families. The Bayne family, consisting of Samuel and Fannie Bayne and their children, Josephine (born 1899), Samuel Junior (born 1901), and Sarah (born 1903). None of the Bayne children had any children of their own, and the collection was left to their cousin, Newton Owen. Owen also received cards from other, farther-flung branches of the family, including the Foells. Lillie Foell's correspondence to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Christian Foell, is particularly well documented.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on January 25, 2010

Three atlases of Louisville and environs comprising 149 maps of Louisville and Jefferson County in 1876, 1884, and 1913, and 76 maps from the Lafon Allen Kentucky Maps Collection dating from 1635-1937, of Kentucky or including the area that would become Kentucky.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on January 25, 2010

The Louisville Herald-Post newspaper operated from 1925-1936. Its articles were illustrated by these images of local people, places, and events.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on January 21, 2010

Comprised of hundreds of thousands of clippings and photographs, The Cleveland Press Collection is the former editorial library, or "morgue," of The Cleveland Press and is now part of Cleveland State University Library's Special Collections. The last of Cleveland's daily afternoon newspapers, The Cleveland Press was published from 1878 until 1982. The collection was donated to the CSU Library in 1984 by the newspaper's owner, Joseph E. Cole, who was then a CSU Trustee. Though little survives from the first half-century, the collection's coverage of local and national history gets progressively stronger after 1920. Many of the approximately half million 8x10 black and white photographs and one million news clippings have been digitized and are available for you to search or browse.

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on January 10, 2010

USPS Zip Code Boundary Maps.