Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Steam Locomotive #170

Front
Archive ID4,359
DescriptionBaltimore & Ohio Railroad Steam Locomotive #170
FormatPhotograph, Black & White
Record TypePhotograph
CollectionThe Joseph A. Smith Collection
Creator
Date Created
Reference #
SourceSmith, Joesph A.
Date AcquiredJanuary 28, 2007
ConditionGood
Size15.5 x 12.0 cm
In ColorNo
ClassifiedYes
Negative ExistNo
SubjectsBaltimore & Ohio Railroad
Chessie System Railroads
Locomotive
Locomotive, Steam

Notes

B. & O. #170 Built 1853 at Mt. Clare Shops Ran until 1895 Neg. #3343

Comments

Submitted by: Ron Goldfeder on: April 07, 2010

This engine is a B&O "Camel." Ross Winans (1796?1877) was the designer who built a fleet of these 0-8-0 freight engines for them and some for other lines. The large firebox caused the cab to be placed on top of the boiler. The poor fireman worked from a small platform at the front of the tender, and early ones didn't even have a shelter over him. The engines were made in short and long furnace types, their term for the firebox. The long ones had two chutes on top for feeding the front and center of the fire, which could not be done from the rear doors. There were also two batches of 4-6-0 "Camels," designed by Samuel Hayes and later Henry Tyson. Both men were the line's Master of Machinery, one after the other. The two survivors are from Tyson's later batch.