Hudson Valley Railway Trolley #114

Front
Archive ID2
DescriptionHudson Valley Railway Trolley #114
FormatPhotograph, Black & White
Record TypePhotograph
CollectionThe Joseph A. Smith Collection
CreatorMaguire, Stephen D.
Date Created
Reference #
SourceMaguire, Stephen D.
Date AcquiredJune 19, 2006
ConditionFine
Size13.5 x 8.5 cm
In ColorNo
ClassifiedYes
Negative ExistNo
SubjectsBelmar, New Jersey
Hudson Valley Railway
New Jersey
New York State
Train / Trolley Station
Trolleys

Notes

HV No 114 Stephen D. Maguire 1411 River Road Belmar, N. J.

Comments

Submitted by: Ken Bradford on: February 06, 2010

The following notes are from United Traction Company Trolley Cars and Rolling Stock. In 1912, the United Traction Company got six Jones-built double-truck open cars from the Hudson Valley Railway and ran them on the Troy-Albany line. They were most popular and had plenty of speed. Passengers were not allowed to sit on the front seat. Sheet metal on which the U.T.O. "Monogram" was painted was tacked on over the Hudson Valley Ry. on the end seats and one figure of each three figured numbers were painted out. On the U.T.C. they carried Nos. 11, 18, 19, 33, 36 & 39. This means that 11 was formerly 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 or 117 18 was formerly 118 19 " " 119 33 " " 133 36 " " 136 39 " " 139 In 1918 the above 6 D.T. open cars and 4 others were rebuilt into the 650-659 M-U Cars (closed cars) to run on the specials to the Watervliet Arsenal and on the Troy Albany Line. 650 to 655 were based in North Albany and 656-659 were based in Lansingburg. World War 1 ended rather suddenly and cutbacks in the work force at the Arsenal eliminated all need for these cars. They went to Lansingburg and ran on the "Red Line" (Waterford. & Lansingburg to South Troy via River and Second Sts.) At the conclusion of the big "Trolley Strike" in 1921 and the consequent advent of the "One-Man Car". The "M-U" equipment was removed and "One Man equipment installed" in its place. At first they were a rather "jerky" car as only one truck had motors in then-the other was simply a trailer and this caused the "jerking" when the car was started. This, I think was later changed and No.650 "had Hudson Valley Motors installed" and had lots of speed and could climb the hills.


Submitted by: Ken Bradford on: February 06, 2010

According to the David Nestle book, 14 open cars (including #114) were traded to United Traction for 7 freight motors that were used primarily for cement traffic out of Glens Falls.